Monday, March 12, 2007

Ya-ho Brewing Bier de Garde

I think this must almost be a first among Japanese breweries, a Bier de Garde! The Karuizuwa-based Ya-Ho Brewing Company, makers of the deliciously American hopped Yona Yona, have released several seasonals at different times. I am especially fond of their India pale ale, but a Scotch ale they produce is also a beautiful beer. So when I was browsing the craft beer section of the basement-level Foodshow beneath Shibuya station yesterday, this new color scheme can caught my eye. "Ho ho, what have Ya-Ho produced now?" I asked myself. Upon closer scrutiny of the lable I was surprised to see the words Biere de Garde pop out at me. "Wow, that's brave!" I thought to myself. "Fancy going to market with something as obscure as that!"

But head brewer Ishii Toshi is not exactly known for a lack of willingness to challenge the Japanese craft beer market with new beer. He has been championing real ale for several years now, after all.

Biere de Garde is a beer style from northern France. The name translates as "beer to keep". It is usually robustly malty, not lacking in hop flavour, and is said to have a musty, earthy character that can be difficult to replicate when brewed with conventional modern brewing practises. This one was pretty much true to this description. A rich golden color, certainly a very full caramelly malt profile with some subdued but noticeable noble hops rounding out the flavour. But wait, there is a little more. A faintly earthy breadiness. Wow, Ishii-san has pretty much nailed this style. It'd be interesting to track down a bottle of Jenlain and drink them side by side. A robust lager-ish beer at 6% abv, this would stand up to some good hearty food. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

Clairie said...

Wow I never knew there was so much to know and be said about beer.

You are truly a dedicated person - be it running or beer!! *grins*